Monday, May 28, 2012

No More Dead Dogs – Gordon Korman


Scholastic Inc., Copyright 2000, 180 Pages
ISBN: 0-39-29484-3
Read: March, 2011 (at age 32)
First time read.

If you haven’t read it:

This book is a teenage comi-drama.  I’m way off of the intended audience for this book – it’s aimed at younger teens and pre-teens.  It’s pretty short, it was cute, and I imagine that it would go over well with the expected audience.

From the back cover:

“I knew Old Shep was going to die before I started Page one,” I said.
            “Don’t be ridiculous,” Mr. Fogelman snapped.  “How?”
            I shrugged.  “Because the dog always dies.  Go to the library and pick out a book with an award sticker and a dog on the cover.  Trust me, that dog is going down.”
            “Not true!” stormed the teacher.
            “Well,” I challenged, what happened to Old Yeller?”
            “Oh, all right,” he admitted. “So Old Yeller died.”
            “What about Sounder?” piped up Joey Quick.
            “And Bristle Face,” added Mike “Feather” Wrigley, one of my football teammates.
            “Don’t forget Where the Red Fern Grows,” I put in.  “The double whammy – two dogs die in that one.”
            “You’ve made your point,” growled Mr. Fogelman.  “And now I’m going to make mine.  I expect a proper review.  And you’re going to give it to me – during detention!”

The back cover is a pull out from about page 5.  It pretty much gives the setting, introduces a bunch of the characters, and sets the tone of the book.  Not bad for a half-page of dialogue – even if the dialogue tags are a bit much.  I didn’t notice them while I was reading, but in typing them out… a bit much.

Reactions (spoilers!)

Characters:
The author has a gift for, not so much describing his characters, as with a line or two, evoking someone that you know or knew, and then leaving it at that.  As a result, the supporting cast seemed well-developed.  I was a bit less excited about the main four characters.  We spent a bunch of time in their heads, and as a result, a couple of the main characters (Mr. Fogelman, Trudi Davis, and Wallace Wallace) didn’t seem so much like real people to me. Rachel wasn’t so bad.

Premise: 
What would happen when a quirky football “star” gets stuck with the drama club doing a play adaptation of a book that he hates?  That’s the question asked here, and there’s all kinds of room for comedy in that set up.

Setting: 
The setting was some Jr. High school in the states – here in Canada, there’s no way that Jr. High football would ever be as important as it was in the book.  I expect that it was overstated even for the States.  Other than that, it was a Jr. High, and well recognizable as such.

Plot:
The plot was kind of madcap comedy, and a summary doesn’t so much do it justice.  About the best that I can do is take the premise, and say “hijinks ensue”. 

Readability:
I have a bit of a complaint here – the book was told first-person, through four viewpoints.  I think that’s pretty ambitious for the target audience in the first place, but I was catching myself flipping back to the chapter headings to see whose head I was in a few pages along.  The character voices just weren’t that different, and that’s a major failing for this style of book.  The pacing was great, and the whole book snapped right along, so that’s about my only gripe.

Overall:
Good.  It was a fun quick read, exactly as I expected.  Which is kind of a surprise, as a lot of elementary-aged books don’t do so well on re-read 20 years later.  The first Korman that I read, This Can't Be Happening at Macdonald Hall, I read in about grade two, and the last one I read, Bugs Potter LIVE at Nickaninny, was sometime around grade 8 – right about in the target audience for those books.  I loved them then, and when  I saw this one at a garage sale for a buck or so, and I thought that I’d pick it up and see how I'd like it from a bit older perspective.  A fair bit, as it turns out.  I’ll keep it around for when my boys are old enough.

Rating: 4

Other Opinions:
I found quite a few reviews, but none that I found particularly interesting.  Let me know if you find a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment