Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Callahan Touch - Spider Robinson


Ace, Copyright 1993, 228 pages
ISBN: 0-441-00133-5
Read: December 2011, at age 33

This was the 6th book in the series that started with Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.  It looks like there are about 9 in the series overall.  It’s a light, quick read about what the regulars at Callahan’s do, once their bar is destroyed.  Um.  Heavy alcohol use in the book – if that’s an issue, move along.

From the back cover:

Opening Night at Mary’s Place is the hottest ticket in the galaxy – a brand-new bar with some old familiar faces.  Jake’s back, along with Doc, Fast Eddie, and the rest of the Callahan’s gang.  And just when things couldn’t get crazier, guess who shows up in the Mick of Time to make sure they do…

My Reactions (after the break):

Overall:
I didn’t find the point of the book.  It was fun, but ultimately nothing happened.  Sitting around a bar getting drunk and slinging puns is fun and all, but if there was a story, I missed it.  Implausible things happen, people react implausibly (which does fit in with the series), and that’s about it.

It seemed to me that this book was a bit of a vanity project – look in at the characters: See - they’re doing fine!  Now let me put a bunch of people in as cameos.  It normally doesn’t bother me too much, but when there’s no story to hang the vanity on, it becomes a waste of time.  I don’t know where the series goes, but if it continues down this track, stop with Lady Slings the Booze. I have good memories of the first five. 

It’s not all bad.  I did enjoy the writing style, and there’s a section riffing on Dean Martin’s “That’s Amore” which was a lot of fun, but overall, the book didn’t work for me.

Rating: 2

Characters:
It’s been a long time since I read a Callahan’s book, and I didn’t really remember much about the characters.  This book didn’t help explain them much.

Setting:
The book was set in a bar.  The second-best bar in the whole universe, since the best one got nuked.  A lot of the story was explaining just how good the bar actually was, which got tiring.

Plot:
There were basically three sections to the book – introducing the Lucky Duck, introducing the Cluricaune, and introducing the AI.  Along the way, they explain a little bit about what these new characters are, and get Jake hooked up with his soulmate, and then the book ends.  It felt like there were three short stories bolted together pretending to be a novel. It didn’t work for me.

Readability:
The best part of the book.  I just like reading Robinson’s writing, even if the rest wasn’t great.

Other Opinions:
I didn’t find any other decent reviews – if you know of one, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment