Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ilona Andrews – Magic Burns

Ace, Copyright 2008, 260 pages
ISBN:  978-0-441-01583-2
Read May 2012, at age 34
First time read.

This is the sequel to Magic Bites.  It isn't necessary to read the first one first, but it adds a bit.  I read the first one maybe 5 years ago, and I only vaguely remembered it, and I don’t think I missed too much.

From the back cover:

Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare… As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant.

Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest – and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive… 

Reactions after the break. 
Overall:

I’m in the middle of a move, and unsurprisingly, it’s a lot of work and not a little stressful trying to keep the house in show condition.  I’m really not feeling the urge to sit and write reviews in the evening.  But I don’t want to stop, so I’m just going to keep them really brief for the next while.

I really enjoyed the book.  It was a fun tough-girl-kicks-supernatural-ass story.  The main character was a lot of fun to read about, tough, snarky, and not a little bit full of herself.  She works really well.  I’ll certainly read the next book that I find by this author.  (These authors?  The book is copyrighted to Ilona Gordon and Andrew Gordon –> Ilona Andrews?  Wikipedia says….got it in one, except that the husband is Gordon Andrews.  Odd.)

I thought that the story started out pretty strong, but as it built into an epic battle toward the end, it became less personal and less effective.  The writing was functional and effective, but not particularly pretty.  The world, with the tides of magic, and the tribal societies and guilds and poor people scraping by in the corners of the city, is wonderful.

Rating: 4

Other opinions:

Similar take to my read of the book, I think, but more eloquent.

Nicely detailed plot summary, similar read to mine.

I’m starting to think that this is chick lit.  I’m not too picky – I’ll read pretty much anything.  I may not enjoy everything, but I did enjoy this one.  In this review, Carolyn finds the setting confusing.  I didn't feel that way at all.

There are lots more, but they’re starting to get repetitive.  Not a lot of controversy – this is a good book.  I didn't find any written by guys, though.  Odd.




No comments:

Post a Comment