Friday, October 9, 2020

The Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson

Tor, 2008, 796 pages
Original copyright 2007
ISBN 978-0-7653-5613-0
Read: May 2020, age 42

Mistborn, book 2

Brandon Sanderson does a lot of things well - he's an effective writer, and his pacing is good.  The action scenes are often spectacular, and his brand of hard magic is fun to play around with.  He sells really well, as well, and is often recommended. I can understand why, but there's just some uncanny valley happening for me, in this book, as well as every other of his that I've read.  I don't fully buy his characters or world building - it doesn't quite feel real, and so I can't fully bury myself into the story.

There isn't even anything that I can particularly pick out, and everything is close to working, but it just doesn't quite do it.  Maybe something to do with not being an insightful people observer?  Maybe too much reading, not enough life outside of books?  Most likely, I'm just not the right reader to fully appreciate the books - not everything works for everyone.

Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment