Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper

McElderry Books, 2013, 296 pages
originally copyright 1973
ISBN: 978-0-689-82983-3
Read February 2016, age 37

The Dark is Rising Sequence, Book 2 of 5


This is the book that won all the awards, and was the reason for me feeling like I'd missed out on the book when I was younger.  It was very pretty - the writing quality was super, and the imagery as well.  The characters were a bit flat, and the plotting was... well, I thought it was terrible.  Basically, our hero, knowing nothing, wanders around.  Magic happens, basically *to* him, and the dark is beaten back.  The end.  There was no character agency, and not much tension.  It was pretty, and then it was over.  I'm not sure if I'm going to read the rest.  Should I?

Rating: 2

I also seem to have lost the damned book.  Now I have a boxed set without #2.  Grump Grump.

Edit - Six months later... I found it.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment