Tuesday, April 7, 2020

The Compleat Enchanter - L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt


Ballantine, 1975, 420 pages
Originally written 1940-1941
ISBN: 345-24638-1-195
Read December 2019, age 41

I liked the book, but I felt like I was missing out on some necessary reading.  The first book was based on Norse mythology, so I was fine through that.  The second part was based off The Faerie Queene, by Spencer, which I know nothing about.  I also knew nothing about the basis for the third book, the Orlando Furioso, by Aristo.  So I missed pretty much all the riffing on what seemed to be assumed general knowledge.  And it might have been in 1940, but almost 70 years later, some of the classic poems are less present.

So, a decent book of three novellas, but it made me feel like I was missing a lot of it.

Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment